Wednesday 26 January 2011

Catch,cook and eat



With the interest in fishing sustainably and fresh fish valued for its nutriment, I think this is an ideal time to share with you some of the ways I prepare the fish we catch. This picture was  taken in the August when mackerel were plentiful.

It is my belief mackerel must be super fresh, anything older than 12 hrs is lobster pot bait. We wouldn't eat anything older than 2-3 hrs to preserve the natural peppery flavour,however that leaves us with a problem of how to preserve the mackerel we can't eat or give to friends and neighbours?
I found using a method my father taught me of curing the fresh fish made delicious alternative meal and something that you could freeze!

Peppered Mackerel
Fillet the fish straight away and using a generous amount of  freshly ground pepper (black or mixed) rub into the flesh and wrap them individually in tin foil and rest over night to cure. You can then store them for  up to 24 hours in the fridge or vacum freeze for at least a month (I don't know beyond  this as they never last long in our house!)

 Smoked mackerel
This is another way to preserve the food value and vary the flavour mackerel can offer. I got a smoker /barbecue from Cobb and it has proved to be good value. The wood I am using here is wild cherry which our wood carving friend David gathered from the beach after a storm!  I am getting the smoker rev ed up here. The smoking ,when the lid is on, is naturally without  flame but the smoke can alert the neighbours to treat being prepared!
Boiled mackerel
This may not sound as good as it can taste. It is another of my father's recipes.!You need to use very fresh tail section of the fish in boiling water and malt vinegar. It doesn't take long and is good warm with wholemeal bread.

1 comment:

  1. You can almost smell the food, Gordon Ramsey would be impressed!

    ReplyDelete